Friday 5 December 2014

The Nature of Man


The Nature of Man

 

 

Man’s nature is what it is; some of it is innate, some learned and absorbed depending on the circumstances of his life. 







Temper


A Zen student came to Bankei and complained: "Master, I have an ungovernable temper. How can I cure it?" 







"You have something very strange," replied Bankei. "Let me see what you have." 







"Just now I cannot show it to you," replied the other. 







"When can you show it to me?" asked Bankei. 








"It arises unexpectedly," replied the student. 








"Then," concluded Bankei, "it must not be your own true nature. If it were, you could show it to me at any time. When you were born you did not have it, and your parents did not give it to you. Think that over." 






Obedience


The master Bankei's talks were attended not only by Zen students but by persons of all ranks and sects. He never quoted sutras not indulged in scholastic dissertations. Instead, his words were spoken directly from his heart to the hearts of his listeners. 







His large audience angered a priest of the Nichiren sect because the adherents had left to hear about Zen. The self-centered Nichiren priest came to the temple, determined to have a debate with Bankei. 








"Hey, Zen teacher!" he called out. "Wait a minute. Whoever respects you will obey what you say, but a man like myself does not respect you. Can you make me obey you?" 






"Come up beside me and I will show you," said Bankei. 







Proudly the priest pushed his way through the crowd to the teacher. 







Bankei smiled. "Come over to my left side."

The priest obeyed. 







"No," said Bankei, "we may talk better if you are on the right side. Step over here." 











The priest proudly stepped over to the right. 








"You see," observed Bankei, "you are obeying me and I think you are a very gentle person. Now sit down and listen." 







The End 









No comments:

Post a Comment